Stopping Child Sexual Abuse In Ohio
Every year in Ohio, over 30,000 children are involved in a substantiated case of child abuse or neglect; of these, just 5,000 are related to sexual abuse specifically (source: Ohio Family Violence Prevention Project). 5,000 children suffering sexual abuse is too many, but the reality is that there are far more who are suffering this devastating crime. Only 38% of child victims of sexual abuse tell someone about the abuse. It is a crime that exists in silence, but it is a crime that we can – and must – stop together.
The Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence is dedicated to advocating for policies and supportive services that keep children safe, help those who have been victimized to heal, and hold offenders accountable. We approach our work on this issue from the basis of these facts:
- Children are never to blame for sexual abuse and are not responsible for stopping or preventing it. It’s the responsibility of every adult.
- The vast majority of child victims of sexual abuse are victimized by someone they know, not a stranger.
- Children deserve to be believed when they disclose abuse, and they should have access to services that will support their healing and protect them from future harm.
- There are many adults living in Ohio who were sexually abused as children. They also deserve to be believed and to have access to supportive services.
- Adults who sexually victimize a child should be held criminally accountable to the fullest extent of the law, both to secure justice for the child who has been harmed, and to protect other children and society at large.
Children are sexually abused in every community in Ohio, and survivors of all ages deserve our advocacy and support. In 2015, OAESV filmed two adult survivors of child sexual abuse, who remind us that while sexual abuse impacts the lives of survivors and families, it can also be overcome if support is available:
Information & Resources
Below you will find links to useful information and resources to better understand child sexual abuse and how to stop it. To suggest additional resources, or for more information, please contact the Director of Prevention & Public Health at email@example.com.
Ohio has a coalition dedicated to supporting child survivors of violence of various kinds, the Ohio Network of Children’s Advocacy Centers. View the map of child advocacy centers here.
Statistics, Factsheets, & Research
- OAESV Fact Sheet on Child Sexual Abuse
- Darkness to Light: Child Sexual Abuse Statistics
- Adverse Childhood Experiences Study
- National Intimate Partner & Sexual Violence Survey
- Ohio Family Violence Prevention Project
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Research Brief
- Long-term Consequences of Child Abuse & Neglect
- OAESV Sex Trafficking Fact Sheet
Responding to Child Sexual Abuse
- Recognizing the Signs of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Handling a Disclosure of Child Sexual Abuse as a Practitioner
- State Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting Numbers
- Rape Crisis Centers in Ohio
- Children’s Advocacy Centers in Ohio
- Supporting Brain Development in Traumatized Youth & Children
Preventing Child Sexual Abuse
- NSVRC Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Information Packet
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Bulletin
- Preventing Child Abuse & Neglect Fact Sheet
- Child Sexual Abuse National Resource Directory
- Preventing Child Sexual Abuse Within Youth Serving Organizations
- The Risk and Prevention of Maltreatment of Children with Disabilities
- Child Maltreatment in Military Families: A Fact Sheet for Providers
- Resources for LGBTQ Youth & Child Trauma
- Safety Planning with Faith-Based Communities
Laws & Policies
- Ohio Statutes Regarding Child Abuse & Neglect
- OAESV Fact Sheet: Legal Definitions
- Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Child Traumatic Stress: What Every Policymaker Should Know
- OAESV Fact Sheet: Age of Consent/Statutory Rape
For Advocates, Prevention Specialists & Allied Professionals
- Proven & Promising Programs
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Programs for Children: Building an Evidence-Informed Approach
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Programs for Adults
- Circle of Safety Curriculum from Stop It Now!
- Stewards of Children from Darkness to Light
- Trauma Informed Practices
- Collaborative Responses to Child Abuse & Neglect
For Parents & Families
- Handling Your Child’s Disclosure of Sexual Abuse
- After a Crisis: Helping Young Children to Heal
- Leaving Your Child Home Alone: Guide for Parents
- Child Sex Trafficking in America: A Guide for Parents & Caregivers
- OAESV Fact Sheet: Sexting, Social Media & Online Safety
- Supporting a Loved One Who’s Been Victimized
For Educators & Child Care Workers
- Ohio School Safety Plans, Policies & Training
- Ohio Department of Education Safety & Violence Prevention Curriculum
- Child Abuse & Neglect: A Reference for Educators
- Ohio Department of Education: Resources for Training & Development
- Ohio Child Protective Services Worker Manual
- Human Trafficking of Children in the U.S.: A Fact Sheet for Schools
Additional information and resources are available from these organizations: