Women of Color Caucus
OAESV is proud to partner with the Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) to convene the statewide Women of Color Caucus (WOCC). We recognize the isolation, frustration, anger, lack of representation, and invisibility felt by women of color in domestic violence, sexual assault, and other social service movements. The WOCC knows that we must strengthen the bonds between us, and together in collective action, give women of color opportunities to be active leaders in our agencies, state, and national coalitions. As equals, we strive to create a strong support network.
The WOCC is a group of diverse women concerned about violence against women of color. We are committed to developing leadership in women, community education, and efforts that will influence policy and systems to more effectively respond to and improve the lives of all women.
The Ohio WOCC shall be known as a truly diverse woman of color caucus – made of many cultures and ethnic groups. We define women of color broadly to include any woman who lives as a member of an oppressed group based on race, culture, and/or ethnicity daily. We are recognized as a national best practice model for caucusing based on our ability to be a powerful group involved in the community with a clear voice that influences and changes policy.
- Ethical Communication
- Mutual Respect
- Safe Spaces for Women of Color
- Community Trust
- Support and Problem Solving
- Appreciation for the whole person
Benefits of WOCC Membership
Becoming a WOCC member allows you to socialize, enjoy peer support and receive professional development information in a safe and supportive environment.
We value our members as our greatest asset and promote each individual’s personal and professional well-being. We believe that the WOCC has the potential to become an integral part of the lives of all our members.
The WOCC is committed to the professional advancement of our members and through our statewide listserv: email@example.com. Members have access to:
- Networking Opportunities & Social Events
- Ongoing Support from other Women of Color
- Updates on Conferences and Trainings
- Employment Opportunities
- Skill Building and Professional Development
2023 WOCC Meetings
- Friday, March 10th (Lima, Ohio)
- Monday, May 8th (TDIM, Columbus, Ohio)
- Thursday, August 10th & Friday, August 11th (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Friday, November 3th (Dayton, Ohio)
Annual Leadership Institute
Annually, the WOCC holds a Women of Color Leadership Institute that focuses on the issues and topics specifically related to the unique challenges faced by women of color working in the anti-violence field. Information on the event will be posted on the WOCC listserv.
News and WOCC Statements
- Women of Color Caucus Position Statement: Prisons and Jails During COVID-19
- Registration for the Women of Color Caucus 2019 Leadership Summit is now open!
- April 24, 2019: A Statement on R. Kelly from the Women of Color Caucus
- From #MeToo to #BlaseyFord to #Surviving RKelly: Connecting Rape Crisis Centers to Black Survivors in the Movement (2019)
- Ohio Woman of Color Caucus Call to Action Statement: Taking Action to Break Through Barriers (2014)